Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

To my fellow swimmers

I went down to my favourite beach last night to watch the end of the day dip below the distant hills. It is my habit to stand on the last piece of rock that the rising tide has not swallowed. From this small perch, I stare into the clear lively water, and observe my urge to jump in and become one with the ancient sea. I love the sound of the beach.....the lapping water, the screaming sea birds and the groans of the complaining seals who live on the rocks just out of reach.

I was distracted from my meditation, by a human voice calling out. I looked to the shore and a woman was walking towards me. I made the jump back to land and greeted her. We spent the rest of the evening sharing stories and watching a baby seal play in the water. We discovered that we had quite a bit in common. She also had the urge to jump in and become one with the water and satisfies this urge by doing lengthy swims to raise money to used for the protection of the world's oceans.

Later in the evening, she sent me her website.......www.costaricamermaid.net ......where she updates on her swims and requests sponsorships. I found a poem on her site that I wish to share with you....I thought it was so beautiful. But then I love water metaphors.

There is a river flowing now very fast,
It is so great and swift, that there are those
Who will be afraid.
They will try to hold on to the shore.
They will feel they are being torn apart and will
Suffer greatly.
Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we mush let go of the shore, push
Off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes
Open, and our heads about the water.
And I say, see who is in there with you and
Celebrate.
At this time in history, we are to take nothing
personal. Least of all ourselves.
For the moment that we do our spiritual
Growth a journey comes to a halt.
The time of the lone wolf is over.
Gather yourselves!
Banish the word "struggle" from you attitude
And your vocabulary.
All what we do now must be done in a sacred
Manner and in celebration.

WE ARE THE ONES WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.

Oraibi, Arizona Hopi Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment